Looking to jailbreak your iPad? You have come to the right place!
Read Me Before Continuing:
- Use at your own risk, we are not responsible for your decision to jailbreak.
- You must be updated to iOS 4.2.1 via the latest version of iTunes before proceeding.
- Your iPad must be activated (screen does not show “Connect to iTunes”)
This Guide Has Two Sections:
A. How To Jailbreak the iPad on 4.2.1 Firmware
B. How To Revert Your iPad Back To “Normal”
A.) How To Jailbreak the iPad on 4.2.1 Firmware
To jailbreak your iPad on the 4.2.1 firmware, ensure you have access to WiFi and follow the steps below:
1. Plug your iPad into iTunes, do a backup and then click “Restore” to install firmware 4.2.1 (you can do “Update”, but Restore is better).
2. After the restore, choose to “Set Up A New…” and continue, bypass the prompted sync selections, eject your iPad from iTunes using the “eject” button, close iTunes and turn the iPad off.
4. Locate the file and open the application. You may need to extract/unzip the file.
5. With Greenpois0n open, and your powered off iPad connected, click the “Jailbreak” button.
6. You will now follow the instructions to place your iPad into DFU mode:
- Press & Hold the Sleep button for 3 seconds
- Continue holding the Sleep button and press and hold the Home Button for 10 seconds
- Release the Sleep Button and continue to hold the Home Button
7. While still holding the Home button, the iPad will enter DFU mode and the jailbreak will begin automatically. For Windows users, at this stage, click the “Jailbreak” button.
8. While still holding the Home button, after the process is complete, click on the “Complete!” button. While still holding the Home button, you’ll see some verbose text on your iPad. Keep holding Home button.
9. Keep holding the Home Button until you see an animated Apple/Greenpois0n logo. At this point, the iPad is rebooting. Upon reboot, a new “Loader” app will be on the Home Screen. Tap on the “Loader” app, tap on Cydia and then tap on “Install Cydia“.
10. In the “Loader” app, you can then tap “Options” to remove “Loader” and click the Home Button to auto-reboot the iPad. After reboot, run Cydia for the recent Cydia updates.
11. If you chose to “Restore” in Step One above, plug your iPad into iTunes, right-click on the device in the sidebar and select “Restore from Backup…”. Choose the latest backup, from Step one above, and click “Restore”.
Common Problems Encountered by Many…
- Problem: The iPad is showing a blank (black) screen after jailbreak, and is still in DFU mode after applying the jailbreak.
- Solution: Leave the iPad for two minutes, then press and hold both power and home button at the same time for 10-15 seconds until the iPad reboots. Redo.
- Problem: Greenpois0n loader is crashing when I install Cydia or I am unable to install cydia via greenpois0n loader.
- Solution: For those having trouble getting Cydia via the GP Loader, use redsn0w (see bottom of post for links) to install it. Follow the redsn0w steps to install Cydia. Ignore anything redsn0w indicates about being “tethered”.
B.) How To Revert Your iPad Back To “Normal”
So you have Jailbroken your iPad but now you want to revert to the factory fresh iPad.
To do so, follow the steps below:
1. Open iTunes and plug your iPad in via the USB. Backup your iPad if iTunes allows you to.
2. When iTunes recognizes the iPad, click on the “Restore” button in iTunes. This will restore your iPad with fresh 4.2.1 firmware.
3. After the restore is complete, iTunes will prompt you to Set up a New Device or Restore from Back Up from an existing backup (the backup from step one above. Choose which ever method you want and let iTunes process.
4. After the processing is complete, your iPad will be loaded with the fresh 4.2.1 firmware or loaded with your back up that you may have chosen.
5. Eject the iPad from iTunes using the “eject” symbol/button in iTunes and disconnect the USB cable from the iPad.
**Want the BEST new iPad protection? Order your invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG, the strongest protection for your new iPad backed by a 30 day money back guarantee, lifetime replacement warranty, and FREE shipping! Use coupon code 'iphoneinca' for 20% off your purchase! Order today!**