The following information is for ‘power’ users interested in jailbreaking their iPad. If this doesn’t make any sense to you, read it for fun and move on!
You might have heard about the latest news to hit the jailbreaking community. The Chronic Dev Team was going to release their jailbreak tool, greenpois0n today. However, famed iPhone hacker Geohot decided to release his own tool (with a different exploit) called limera1n yesterday. Basically, Geohot wanted his exploit to be used so the CDT could ‘save’ their exploit from being closed by Apple. The iPhone Dev Team also shed some light on the current ‘drama’.
Anyways, limera1n has been released by Geohot and it can jailbreak your iPad on iOS 3.2.2. Right now, the tool is for Windows users only. Use this tutorial at your own risk as the tool itself is still being perfected.
1. Update your iPad to 3.2.2 via iTunes.
2. Download limera1n to your computer and launch it.
3. Make sure your iPad is connected to your PC via the USB cable.
4. Click ‘Make it ra1n”
5. Your iPad will now be put into Recovery Mode.
6. You will now have to hold ‘home + power’. When prompted, let go of the ‘power’ button, while keeping down the Home button.
7. Your iPad will be put into DFU mode by limera1n, where you’ll then see the lime drop logo. When it’s done, you’ll see a message that says “geohot says: enjoy your jailbroken iPhone”.
8. Launch the limera1n app on your iPad homescreen and install Cydia, then reboot. That’s it. iPad on iOS 3.2.2 jailbroken!
limera1n, 6 months in the making
iPhone 3GS, iPod Touch 3G, iPad, iPhone 4, iPod Touch 4G
4.0-4.1 and beyond+++
limera1n is unpatchable
untethered thanks to jailbreakme star comex
released today to get chronicdev to do the right thing
brought to you by geohot
Mac coming soon
follow the instructions in the box, sadly limera1n isn’t one click
that’s the price of unpatchability
as usual, donations appreciated but not required
still in beta, pardon my ragged edges
AppleTV is technically supported, but theres no apps yet
zero pictures of my face
need to restart to get the Cydia icon to show up after installing Cydia
some people still don’t have windows
beta iOS versions aren’t supported
uninstall in limera1n app doesn’t work, you can just delete the blackra1n.app directory, i need regression testing
iPod Touch 2G support coming soon
for 3G, use redsn0w
limera1n app is a white box, i know. use it anyway
BETA1 – first release
BETA2 – fixed kernel patching magic, rerun BETA2+ over BETA1
BETA3 – fixed new bootrom 3GS
Let me know how your jailbreak goes with iOS 3.2.2 + limera1n in the comments!
**Want the BEST new iPad protection? Order your invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG, the strongest protection for your new iPad backed by a 30 day money back guarantee, lifetime replacement warranty, and FREE shipping! Use coupon code 'iphoneinca' for 20% off your purchase! Order today!**