Over at our big brother site, iPhoneinCanada.ca, we reviewed one of the hottest free apps to hit the App Store, netTalk. This free VoIP app will allow you to make free calls to anywhere in Canada and the USA, which can possibly eliminate your Skype Subscription plan.
Here are the features:
– Free calling to the US and Canada
- Connectivity through WIFI/3G/Edge
- Record conversations
- Import your contacts from your phone
- Receive customized support through 611
- Dial 2663 for FREE conference calling bridge
- Free 411 Directory Assistance
- Integrated contacts from the phone
- Favorite Contacts
More details from their iTunes description:
- Link your netTALK DUO phone number to the app
- Low rates for international calling
- Receive calls on your iPhone to your netTALK number, without paying for cellular minutes
- Must be on WiFi/3G/EDGE
- Must create a netTALK account to use this app-no device needed
- International roaming charges may apply
- iPod touch/iPad require a compatible headset/microphone
- Operator data charges may apply.
- iPod touch 1st gen users must have iOS 2.2.1 or above
- Dialing 911 on the application will not work
Since the iPad has a built in mic, making calls to Canada and the USA for free is huge. Plug in Apple headphones and your iPad could be making free calls from anywhere at anytime. The only downside is there’s no caller ID (your number shows up as unknown), but if your recipient knows your calling there’s no issue at all.
I tested out some calls over WiFi and call quality was good to very good. It really depends on your connection, and if you’re using your 3G data plan be aware that lengthy VoIP calls can eat up your data bucket.
Let me know how this app works with your iPad!
**Want the BEST new iPad protection? Order your invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG, the strongest protection for your new iPad backed by a 30 day money back guarantee, lifetime replacement warranty, and FREE shipping! Use coupon code 'iphoneinca' for 20% off your purchase! Order today!**