Some more iPad 3 rumours, this time once again from iLounge editor Jeremy Horwitz, tweeting from his twitter account just prior to the start of CES. Here’s what his source tells him:
1) A few next-gen iPad notes, ahead of the show. Both cameras are getting upgrades. Front goes HD, rear becomes iPhone 4/4S-like (bigger).
2) Body of the next iPad is, as we previously reported, getting just a little thicker to accommodate new parts – little = 1mm give or take.
3) Curve radiuses on the body will change only a little to accommodate the added thickness, not dramatically. Think iPad 2 Pro, not a redesign.
4) Looks likely that iPad 2 will stick around at lower price point, say $399, and next iPad with high-def screen + cameras will sit atop it.
5) Incidentally, our source believes that the next iPad’s rear camera will be the same as iPhone 4S’s, b/c camera hole is very similar.
6) If Apple is in fact moving the front camera to FaceTime HD, calls from the next iPad to current Macs + vice-versa will look _much_ better.
7) Source thinks date will be similar to iPad 2’s. Correctly says a January launch (never likely) would anger holiday 2011 iPad 2 recipients.
Jeremy’s source also kicked to the curb the former Digitimes story about a larger iPad with double the battery life.
iLounge similarly had a former source reiterate about the similar form factor last November:
The third-generation iPad will become modestly thicker (0.7mm) in order to accommodate the twin light bar system needed for its higher-resolution display. It’s currently on track for a March timeframe release, and according to our source could be publicly shown as early as January, depending on conditions.
It would be logical to assume the iPad 2 cameras would improve since the front facing VGA camera is horrendous, but the rear camera is 720P capable. As for the design, the iPad 2 is still very thin and to increase thickness by 1 mm would be nothing at all.
As for the iPad 2 price drop? That is plausible as Apple slashed original iPad prices the moment the iPad 2 was announced. Stay tuned for more rumours as CES kicks off. You can bet we’ll see more ‘leaked’ iPad cases like last year.
**Want the BEST new iPad protection? Order your invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG, the strongest protection for your new iPad backed by a 30 day money back guarantee, lifetime replacement warranty, and FREE shipping! Use coupon code 'iphoneinca' for 20% off your purchase! Order today!**
Posted under: iPad Rumours