The tear down experts at iFixit have already started on the new iPad, thanks to acquiring one at the Australian launch. They have taken off the front glass and revealed the new Retina Display, and also have uncovered the iPad’s logic board, revealing the first images of the new A5X processor that provides quad core graphics.
The iFixit site was getting hammered so it might be down for you, but as of publishing it’s back up and running. Here’s what they have revealed so far from the logic board, along with the A5X:
- Texas Instruments CD3240 driver device
- Broadcom BCM4330 802.11a/b/g/n MAC/Baseband/Radio with Integrated Bluetooth 4.0+HS and FM Transceiver
- Epcos B4064 SAW filters
- Fairchild FDMC 6683
The Retina Display is rumoured to be from Samsung. Earlier reports noted it could also be from LG too. Stay tuned as the iFixit team updates their tear down page.
Update 1: iFixit has finished their tear down–check out the massive iPad battery again! Here’s what iFixit has to say:
- While the iPad 2 housed a formidable 25 watt-hour Li-ion battery, the iPad 3 has upped the ante to the tune of 42.5 watt-hours.
- Its 3.7 volts and estimated 10 hours of use (9 with cellular data network) are comparable to that of the iPad 2, but we assume the extra 17.5 watt-hours are put to good use powering the extra RAM and greatly improved GPU.
- Apple physically increased the size of each cell by about 70%, explaining the big jump from 25 to 42 watt-hours.
…and here’s their new iPad tear down overview video:
**Want the BEST new iPad protection? Order your invisibleSHIELD by ZAGG, the strongest protection for your new iPad backed by a 30 day money back guarantee, lifetime replacement warranty, and FREE shipping! Use coupon code 'iphoneinca' for 20% off your purchase! Order today!**
Posted under: iPad News